Go Traditional With Christmas Pomanders
Fill your holiday home with the delicious scent of Christmas by making traditional pomander decorations. Whether you choose to display your festive creations in a bowl or hang them with ribbon, they will add a spicy seasonal aroma and a cheerful look to any room.
You will need:
- A medium-large orange
- Whole cloves
- Thin ribbon (over double the circumference of the orange in length)
- Citrus zester
- Ground spices (optional)
- Cinnamon sticks (optional)
- Place the orange half-way down the length of ribbon and wrap the ribbon around the orange. Twist the ribbon to form a base, then wrap around again to form quarters.
- At the top of the pomander, slide the ends under the ribbon and tie in a knot to secure.
- In whatever pattern you like, push the cloves into the orange. If the orange skin is too firm or for more complicated patterns, trace your outline first with a darning needle or toothpick before adding the cloves.
- Carefully carve a design into the orange with the corner of a citrus zester. Swirls and lines work well.
- Push cloves into the orange in any pattern.
- Display in a bowl or on a mantelpiece.
For an even more atmospheric Christmas fragrance, finish your pomanders by rolling them in ground spices (such as ginger and nutmeg) or placing them on a bed of cinnamon sticks.