Back in April 2020 we shared with you our favourite recipe for home made dog treats, which was a roaring success!
So we’ve brought it back…with a festive twist! If you fancy giving your four legged friend some yuletide joy – why not give it a go, they’re sure to be impressed!
What you'll need...
- 255g natural smooth peanut butter
- 180ml not-fat milk
- 1 large egg or 25g unsweetened apple sauce
- 245 whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 30g oats (whole-rolled or quick)
- 2–3 pieces of cooked bacon, chopped into lardons
- Optional: Bone, gingerbread man, candy cane or other festive cookie cutters
- Optional: 150g of wilted spinach or cranberries
- Optiona: Peppermint extract or natural red food colouring
- Preheat your oven to 165°C and line two large baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats and set to one side.
- In a large bowl gently mix together the wet ingredients (peanut butter, milk and egg/applesauce). (For green cookies add the spinach and a few drops of peppermint extract at this stage, for red cookies blitz the cranberries and add alongside the food colouring).
- Once combined, add in the flour and baking powder and knead into a floured surface until combined.
- Add the oats and bacon to your dough. (Your dough should be heavy)
- Using a floured rolling pin, cut into festive shapes using cookie cutters or a knife and arrange on the baking sheets. Our favourites are green dough Christmas trees, candy canes using regular dough and red dough, santa stocking using red dough and regular dough and regular gingerbread men!
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until very lightly browned on the bottom. Once browned on the bottom, flip the treats and bake for another 10 minutes
- Allow to cool completely before serving to your pup
At room temperature: Cover and store up to one week at room temperature.
Refrigerated: Cover and store for up to 2 weeks.
In the freezer: Treats will last 2 months, ensure treats are fully defrosted.
N.B. All holiday home images are for visual purposes only. All holiday homes will be provided according to the grade booked, however the holiday home model may vary upon arrival.