Keep cosy this winter with some nourishing recipes recommended from our Leisure Manager Luke Mitchell at Plas Coch. These healthy winter recipes give you all the comfort you want during the winter months whilst providing all the healthy ingredients your body needs.
Slow Cooker Chicken Fajitas
2 lbs. (900g) chicken breasts
4 bell peppers, sliced
1 red onion, sliced
2 tbsp. honey
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 lime, juice
1 tbsp. chilli powder
1 tbsp. cumin
1 tbsp. paprika
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 cup chopped tomatoes
- Place half of the sliced peppers and onion in the slow cooker. Layer the chicken and coat with honey, olive oil, lime juice, all the seasoning and chopped tomatoes.
- Lastly, add the remaining peppers and onions and cook for 4 hours on high.
- Remove the chicken and shred it with a fork, then return it in in the slow-cooked, mix well and cook for another 10 mins. on low.
- Assemble fajitas and enjoy.
Pumpkin Macaroni Cheese
5 ½ cups (800g) pumpkin cubes
1 tsp. olive oil
3 ⅜ cups (340g) macaroni pasta 10 oz. (300g) smoked bacon medallions, chopped (optional, omit for vegetarian option)
1 tbsp. coconut oil
1 small onion, diced
2 tbsp. all purpose or gluten-free flour
1 ½ cups (375ml) fat free milk
⅔ cup (150ml) vegetable stock
¼ tsp. nutmeg
2 cups (200g) kale
1 ⅜ cups (140g) grated Cheddar 1 ⅛ cups (115g) grated Gouda
2 tbsp. grated parmesan
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Line a large baking tray with foil, and coat lightly with olive oil.
- Roast the pumpkin cubes for around 30-35 minutes until soft. When cooled down slightly, puree until smooth with a hand blender.
- Add up to 3 tbsp. of water if needed to achieve a puree.
- In the meantime, cook the pasta according to instructions on packaging in salted water. Drain, and set aside.
- If using bacon, heat a large dry pan over high heat and cook it until browned, about 4-5 minutes, then also set aside.
- Using the same pan, heat the coconut oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for about 2 minutes, next add the flour and cook another minute, or until well combined. Add in milk and stock and mix well. Bring to a boil and cook for about 4 to 5 minutes until it thickens slightly. Season with salt and pepper, and nutmeg.
- Once it begins to thicken, stir in the pumpkin puree and add in the kale. Cook until pumpkin is heated through and kale has wilted. Remove from the heat, add cheeses and mix well until melted.
- Lastly, add the cooked macaroni and bacon and mix well. Serve seasoned with freshly ground pepper.
Salmon Tray Bake
3 ½ cups (800g) baby potatoes, washed
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 cup (200g) tender steam broccoli or green beans
3 small red onions, cut into wedges
1 ¼ cup (250g) cherry tomatoes 2 rosemary springs 2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
1 lb. (500g) salmon fillets
- Pre-heat oven to 360°F (180°C).
- Place the potatoes in a large baking tray and rub them in the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper, then bake for 10 minutes.
- Next, add the onion and rosemary, drizzle with balsamic vinegar. Bake for another 10 minutes.
- Season the salmon fillets with salt & pepper and add them to the tray bake alongside the broccoli. Bake for another 15 minutes.
- Once salmon is cooked through, divide everything between 4 plates and serve.
N.B. All holiday home images are for visual purposes only. All holiday homes will be provided according to the grade booked, however the holiday home model may vary upon arrival.